Chinese Dumplings Recipe
Chef Cheryl Mui-Lu offers her recipe for traditional dumplings.user rating
Dumplings are a popular Chinese New Year tradition. Because their shape resembles ancient Chinese money, dumplings symbolize wealth and prosperity. Finding a coin in a dumpling is believed to bring good luck in the New Year. Here, Chef Cheryl Mui-Lu offers her recipe for traditional dumplings.
For the Filling:
12 oz. Chinese cabbage, shredded or finely chopped
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 lb. ground pork
8 oz. Chinese garlic chives, finely chopped
¼ cup light soy sauce
3 Tbsp. Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
3 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 Tbsp. minced ginger
1 egg, lightly beaten
50-75 round wheat dumpling wrappers
For the Dipping Sauce:
¼ cup light soy sauce
¼ cup Chinese black vinegar
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
1. Put the cabbage in a bowl and toss with salt. Leave for 30 minutes to one hour.
2. Gently squeeze excess water from cabbage and place in a large bowl. Add the pork, chives, soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, ginger and an egg. Stir vigorously for 3-5 minutes until combined and pork becomes stringy. Drain off any excess liquid.
3. Place one teaspoon in a microwave-proof bowl and microwave for 10-20 seconds. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
1. Combine soy sauce, black vinegar, garlic and sesame oil in a small bowl.
1. Combine 1 egg with 2 tablespoons of water and mix.
2. Place a heaping tablespoon of the filling in the center of each wrapper. Spread a little of the egg-water mixture along the edge of half of the wrapper and fold the wrapper over to make a half-moon shape. Make sure to press out any air bubbles.
3. Use your thumb and index finger to form small pleats along the sealed edge. With the other hand, press the two opposite edges tighter to seal.
4. Place the finished dumplings on a floured sheet tray. (Pre-cooked dumplings can be frozen for up to one month in a sealed bag. )
5. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add half the dumplings, stirring immediately to prevent them from sticking. Return to a boil. Add 2 cups of cold water and bring to a boil again. Repeat with an additional 2 cups of cold water. Remove from heat and drain the dumplings. Repeat with the remaining half. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.